Thursday, June 19, 2008

Eco-Friendly, Playground Lovin', Book Readin' Family

With the price of gas so high and the desire to do my part in being eco-friendly, Abraham and I decided to walk to the public library this week. Wednesday was GORGEOUS and too nice to be spent inside. The library didn't open until noon but there is a playground 2 blocks behind it. So we left a little earlier and had time to run around and then have a picnic lunch. It was delightful to watch Abraham play with the other kids and me. He "drove" me around with the play steering wheel for a good 15 minutes. He sang to me like he was the radio!



Getting ready to walk to the library


Ouch! My butt! This slide is bumpy.


Too busy climbing to look at momma




Picnic at the playground


Me and my boy

So after our playground visit we headed to the library to sign up for the summer reading program. For the little ones they have a Read to Me program. Being the teacher that I am, we checked out some good books! Except this one.. the dreaded book, the hated book in our home (but only by Michael and I!) I have this theory. Richard Scarry was a man out to get every parent who bought their child one of his books. Have you ever SEEN one of his books? There is stuff EVERYWHERE!! It is like Where's Waldo? but 100 times worse! And give it to a nearly 3 yr old boy who loves books... good God, shoot me now! Every time Abraham goes for one of these books, we try and pass it off on each other. "Daddy/Mommy wants to read with you!" They drive us crazy but he loves them!
Interesting enough a quote from Scarry says it all --- "I'm not interested in creating a book that is read once and then placed on the shelf and forgotten. I am very happy when people have worn out my books, or that they're held together by Scotch tape." –Richard Scarry
Well that folks is what Abraham's Richard Scarry books will look like pretty soon!
(p.s. He lied when he titled the book "Best First book Ever"!)








Mommy on the other hand got some books of her own. Can you tell what author I really like? I decided to read a few Karen Kingsbury books that I have missed out on. She is an amazing author with such a way of telling stories. I had already read Sunrise but started and finished Summer in the past 2 days. Let me tell you what folks, when my sister warned me that I'd need a Kleenex for this one - I didn't realize she meant to say I'd need the WHOLE blooming box! I will post more about this later but suffice it to say, the book involves a baby being sick so it hit close to home with me. Plus one of the characters names is Kari - spelled just that way - which of course is my sweet sisters name. When I have enough umph in me I will tell you my thoughts on the book. For now,I'm beginning Someday, which I went to Barnes and Noble tonight to buy so I could keep my momentum in these stories!!

Anyhow, when I finish these I'll be on to my other favorite author, Jodie Picoult, to read some of her books I have missed.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Firstborns...they NEVER listen to the warnings their siblings give em!!! :D Glad you are getting to finally get some reading done for yourself, love the picts!!! Did you get the sprinkler ones I sent you? LOVE YOU LOVE YOU LOVE YOU!! xoxo see you tonite!

Mel said...

That is so funny that we did the same post! Even the same pictures with the books. There is nothing better than the summer library visits, huh? I just finished Jodi Picoult's book "Nineteen Minutes". It was good, but seemed like it took me forever to read.

Lavishly Loved said...

I love to read "series" books! My trick is to get the first two or three then when I am about finished, order the next couple online and have them ready to pick up when I return the last one.
I am finishing up "The Name" by Franklin Graham and then already have my 973 pager "The Pilars of the Earth". I am sure I will have to renew it! I have not even started it. YIKES.

Love the pics of you and Abraham!