Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ahh.. the life of a mother of a 2 1/2 year old....Will wonders never cease??


Well, Abraham and I had an interesting day today. It started out pretty good. We were going to hit Target and then drive up to the river to meet Michael for lunch and some play time. It should have been a very simple day.. but no, not with my 2 1/2 year old!!

So we finish at Target and head out to the car. I put him in the car to just stand until I was done unloading our stuff then I and shut the door, as I always do. Then I went back to the cart to unload and then shut the back hatch before walking the cart back to the return place which was right behind me. I get back to the car and attempt to lift the door handle but it wouldn't open ----- It was locked! With Abraham in it as well as my keys, of course! Should I expect something different to happen??

Anyhow, so I was pretty calm, trying to get Abraham to unlock the door. Yea, that wasn't happening. The windows were luckily cracked open, but not enough to get my arm in it. A lady who was loading her own car tried to coax him to open it too. To no avail. Meanwhile another woman who has now pulled into a parking spot across from us calls the State Police... what??? "Great." I think. They'll haul my butt to jail for child endangerment...

The security guy comes out of Target and is on the phone with the Bel Air Police Department who show up less than 5 minutes later. The officer is really great and understanding. He opens the door in less than 1 minute. Abraham made friends with the officer and got a Junior Officer badge out of it. From start to finish of our harrowing day, it was only about 15 - 20 minutes but it sure felt like a lifetime!!

Needless to say, Mommy learned a valuable lesson today. My 2 year old is a pretty smart kid to lock the door -- and pretty stubborn to NOT open it when I very clearly offered him CHOCOLATE!!! I think that I'll teach Abraham how to UNLOCK the door next...

Abraham was very proud to show daddy his badge when we saw him. He told Michael that the police officer opened the door and gave him the badge. I told you he was SMART!


At the river

1 comment:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Oh man! SO glad the cop was understanding!!! Gotta love those 2 year old boys!