Sunday, November 19, 2006

Welcome Abraham and Moses!

Our angel Moses at 7 days old

Abraham at 15 days old in the NICU
Our boys - Abraham (r) and Moses (l)

Last year, after 2 years of attempting to get pregnant, Michael and I found out we were expecting... and expecting TWINS! Needless to say we were thrilled to be doubling our family. My pregnancy was uneventful up until the 22 week mark. On September 17, I began bleeding and we had to rush to the hospital. I was admitted and examined and they thought that my water had broken. This started my permanent bed rest. I remained in bed that following week and since the bleeding had stopped we thought all was ok. At 23 weeks I began bleeding again and I was beginning to go into labor with contractions and back pain. There was some serious concerns that the doctors might have to deliver the boys. We were told that at 23 weeks the viability of the boys was very low. I was given some serious medications to stop the contractions that worked - Praise the Lord!

But as of then I was on permanent bedrest until they would be born. I went on to spend another 5 weeks in the hospital in bed. Let me just tell you, I'd never wish that experience on my worst enemy. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my entire life... yet it was the most important thing I'd ever do as well. I was sent home at just over 27 weeks and boy was I glad.. Michael was too since he had been without me for 6 weeks. It was really hard on both of us.

I spent just over a week at home before Abraham's water broke. AGAIN we rushed to the hospital. It took them all morning to decide that they would let me labor so that there would be no chance for infection. My doctor got to the hospital around 7 pm and at 8:30 pm I was wheeled into surgery to have a c-section. Abraham was born at 8:44 pm, 2 lbs 10 oz and 15 inches long. Moses was born at 8:45 pm, 2 lbs 7 oz and 14 inches long. They were both whisked away to the NICU after I got a brief look at them. I was in a fog as they had to give me an extra dose of meds cause I flipped out on the operating table! A wimp am I!! :)

Abraham spent 51 days in the NICU at GMBC hospital. Moses was at GMBC for 29 days before being transferred to Johns Hopkins. They both received absolutely the best care that was possible. I can't say enough about the nurses and their care and concern for the boys and for us. They really made a difficult situation 100 times better. We are blessed to have such outstanding hospitals in our backyard.

No comments: