Friday, May 7, 2010

Kennedy Jay Ragan

Well, it's been a little bit since I have put anything on my blog but it's for a good reason.
We got a surprise package - arriving nearly 5 1/2 weeks early

Kennedy Jay Ragan
5 lbs 3 oz
18 inches long
April 29, 2010
11:30 pm

I had gone to the OB on Wednesday and he said everything looked good and that we were right on schedule. I joked with him about not doing a preemie again this time and he said just make it to 36 weeks and we'll be good! Wasn't feeling good all Thursday, lots of what I THOUGHT were braxton hicks (fake contractions) but what I figure now was the beginning of labor. By dinner I was REALLY uncomfortable and my belly was getting tight every 5 minutes. After dinner I was doubled over and knew that something wasn't right. Called my sister and she said call the Dr. He told me to come in and get checked out - good thing I did!

Got to GBMC by 8:20pm and had to answer a ridiculous amount of questions to be registered. I could barely talk the contractions were so bad. They checked me out and confirmed I indeed was in labor and was about 3 cm dilated!!

They took me to a delivery room where I had to wait for about 30 minutes to get an epidural. Meanwhile, I'm texting my co-workers to tell them what was going on. Got a text out to my sister - PLEASE COME NOW! to which she responded I'M HALFWAY THERE! My next thought was "Oh crap! Mom is going to have a heart attack. She's in PA!"

Got my epidural and was in heaven! Man those things are the best! Dr. Naumann had me push for about 20 minutes but Kennedy's heart rate dropped with each push. He didn't like that so we opted to do a C-Section, which I was fine with.

They allowed both Michael AND Kari in the OR which I was really grateful for. Not only was she there for moral support but she was our photographer. That let Michael be with me and Kennedy. He was born at 11:30 on the dot. As the NICU team worked on him he let us all know that his lungs were working just fine. As soon as I heard him cry, the water works started for me! They did all their stuff with him and then I got to see him before recovery. It all happened so fast. I was glad that the anesthesiologist didn't have to give me any more drugs to calm me this time. I was able to hear Kennedy cry and savor the moment.

You can only imagine the surprise in the GA grandparents voices when Michael called to let them know Kennedy was here! They were flabbergasted along with us!

As of now, Kennedy has been in the NICU for 8 days. We expect him to be home in the next 4-5 days, a much shorter stay this time than our last. It is neat to see all the same nurses and staff in the NICU and for them to remember Abraham and Moses as well. We are much more at peace and are more calm this time around. Kennedy is at a totally different place than the boys ever were. We are still taking it one day at a time and I am making use of the time to recouperate from surgery.

We are ALL excited to have our little Kennedy HOME with us!

I had gotten the epidural and all was well in the world!

Daddy checking Kennedy out, making sure there were 10 fingers and 10 toes.

Our sweet boy - Kennedy

Don't you just love the feet? :)

A proud momma

1 comment:

Mel said...

I've been waiting and waiting to hear the story...thanks for sharing! I'm so happy to hear that things are going ok and Kennedy will be joining you all at home very soon. Great job there momma and a very Happy Mother's Day to you too! Love ya.